Friday, March 27, 2015

Of Luther and Kirk

Luther the man, not the TV show.

I'm Lutheran, and while Husband is not, he gamely agreed to get married in my church and raise our children Lutheran.

Despite this agreement, I had anticipated trouble. It's not always a smooth road when parents have different ideologies. And Husbnd has been known to point out that The Man Upstairs isn't Luthern and therefore doesn't recognize our marriage. Fortunately, divorce attorneys do.

But Husband is great. He participates in our religious rituals and listens to tales from Sunday School. Too bad I never brought the conversation beyond the Small Catechism.

You see, while I'm very supported in the raising of our little Lutherans, I'm completely alone on an equally important front.

I'm talking, of course, about sci-fi.

Husband has never watched any Star Trek TV show. The movies are of little concern to him. The news that JJ Abrams is on deck for Star Wars had no impact whatsoever on his life. And the Marvel Universe may as well be in a galaxy far, far away for all the attention he pays to it.

Having been raised with an appreciation for the finer things in life, leaving my toddler and 4 week old baby in the hands of my parents so I could see The Dark Knight opening weekend was a necessity (I'll direct you to a previous post, The House of WTH? for perspective on this act).

Friend 1 and I have a standing date for every Star Trek movie into time immemorial (needless to say, she gets Kids and Husband if I die or join the Federation. Someone has to teach them that everything they need to know in life they can get from Star Trek TOS). And yes, I have had the Kirk/Picard debate.

I am trying to raise my kids right. They are counting the weeks and months until Age of Ultron and The Force Awakens. We watch Agents of Shield. They can do the Vulcan greeting.

On the eve of the last Star Trek opening, my cup of joy overflowed. I enthusiastically shared with Husband the rumor of Khan and Carol Marcus making an appearance. That's when the wheels came off the cart of my happiness. He asked me who Carol Marcus was.

I explained. In detail. And maybe I cursed. In Klingon.

"How," he deadpanned, "did you ever have sex?"

Well, he had sex with me. Which is why I have kids to raise. Hopefully on Mars Colony.




No comments:

Post a Comment